Medterra CBD oil is made of CBD isolate and broad-spectrum CBD, the perfect option for athletes or those looking for THC-free oil. Check out our recommendations for the best CBD oils from Medterra.
Medterra CBD Oil
Unlike other companies who have primarily developed full-spectrum CBD products, Medterra CBD oil is made of CBD isolate and broad-spectrum CBD and contains no artificial preservatives, no GMOs and no pesticides. Their broad-spectrum product has all the other all-natural hemp extracts such as CBN (Cannabinol), CBDv (Cannabidivarin), CBG (Cannabigerol), CBC (Cannabichromene) and CBT (Cannabitriol), as well as the naturally-occurring terpenes, flavonoids, and Omega acids which can be found in full-spectrum CBD, but they are free from THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBDa (Cannabidiolic acid).
For their broad-spectrum CBD, Medterra have focused on maximising the entourage effect – a physiological phenomenon wherein the properties of active hemp compounds appear to be more powerful when consumed together rather than by themselves individually – through the preservation of synergy between the plants cannabinoids, terpenoids and flavonoids.
This has been achieved by creating a unique 1:1 blend of CBD and CBG by using a new extraction method which preserves the amount of CBG and that would have otherwise been converted into other cannabinoids.
Their products are all derived from organic hemp plants that are grown under the highest agricultural directives in the US (Kentucky) and the company use a CO2 extraction process to produce their broad-spectrum CBD oil and CBD isolate products.
Medterra CBD oil is vegan friendly, gluten-free, organic, GMO free, lab tested and contains no THC, CBN & THCV, ensuring you get the purest CBD possible.
Medterra CBD is a great option for those looking to get all the benefits of CBD and CBG, without the potential downsides linked to THC and drug tests.
Medterra have focused on developing a comprehensive range of quality broad-spectrum and CBD isolate products which are ideal for customers looking for THC free options.
We love the fact that Medterra have decided to focus on THC free oils and capsules to differentiate their products from their main competitors. If you are looking for a broad-spectrum or a CBD isolate, we’d highly recommend checking them out as the vast majority of CBD brands on the market offer full-spectrum products which may not be suitable for everyone, especially if drug tests are a concern.
Medterra Pure CBD Oil (Isolate)
The most popular product of Medterra is their CBD oil tincture which is made with 99%+ CBD from organically-grown US hemp (Kentucky). The only other ingredient in this oil is MCT coconut oil (Medium Chain Triglyceride), which allows for a more effective and diffused absorption.
As a CBD isolate product, it does not have any of the natural hemp extracts such as CBDv (Cannabidivarin), CBG (Cannabigerol), CBC (Cannabichromene) or CBT (Cannabicitran), nor does it contain any of the naturally-occurring terpenes, flavonoids, and Omega acids. It’s also THC, CBN & THCv free, meaning that you get the purest CBD possible with no THC whatsoever.
Their CBD isolate oil is available in three different strengths and come in 30ml bottles which explains the low concentration:
As all their CBD oils come in 10ml bottle, the strength of the CBD will differ for each product.
*(FS) – Full Spectrum / (BS) – Broad Spectrum / (Isolate) – CBD Isolate
When comparing the price and strength of their CBD isolate products, going for a higher potency works out cheaper in the long run as a person using 20g of CBD per day will spend £0.60 per day using their 3000mg CBD oil and £1.08 per day when using their 500mg oil, a saving of 44% when going for the higher potency oil.
Medterra Broad-Spectrum & CBG Oil
On top of their pure CBD oil, Medterra have developed two other product lines for customers who want THC free oil but also want to benefit from the entourage effect coming from other cannabinoids.
Ultra Broad-Spectrum CBD – Unlike their isolate tinctures which contains only CBD, Medterra broad-spectrum tinctures contain CBD with additional beneficial compounds such as CBG, CBN, CBC, CBDV, and natural terpenes. Medterra Broad-Spectrum CBD Oil 1000mg and Medterra Broad-Spectrum CBD Oil 2000mg are equivalent to 3.2% and 6.4% concentration products and they come in a delicious citrus flavour.
CBD+CBG Oil – If you want a truly differentiated oil, you may want to check out Medterra CBG Oil 1000mg and Medterra CBG Oil 2000mg which contain CBG (Cannabigerol), a compound known as the “mother of all cannabinoids”. CBG isn’t usually present in broad and full spectrum products as it is converted to CBD and other minor cannabinoids within the hemp plant, making it very difficult to find in hemp plant. Medterra have developed their own extraction technology which allows them to cleanly extract CBG in order to incorporate it in their CBD oil, with a CBD to CBG ratio of 1:1, meaning that their 1000mg bottle will contain 500mg of CBD and 500mg of CBG.
As all their CBD oils come in 30ml bottle, the strength of the CBD will differ for each product.
*(FS) – Full Spectrum / (BS) – Broad Spectrum / (Isolate) – CBD Isolate
Price wise, their broad-spectrum oil is more expensive than their CBD isolate as the 30ml bottle of 1000mg retails at £53.99 which works out £1.08 per day based on 20mg of CBD. In comparison, their isolate product costs £0.90 per day based on the same dosage.
Their CBG+CBD oil retails at £71.99 for the 1000mg bottle and £116.99 for the 2000mg version, which is even more expensive as their CBD isolate and broad spectrum CBD oils at £1.42 per day compared to £0.90 for their isolate product and £1.08 for their broad-spectrum oil.
Best Medterra CBD Oils
- 30ml per bottle (750mg of CBD)
- Approx 0.6mg of CBD per drop
- Contains Elderberry, Echinacea, Vitamin C and Ginger Root
- Supports immune system health
- 99%+ Pure CBD (isolate)
- Zero THC
- MCT oil carrier
Medterra CBD Immune Boost Oil 750mg (2.5%)
Medterra CBD Oil Efficacy
As we cannot test every single CBD oil from Hempura, we opted for their 3000mg CBD isolate tincture (10% concentration with MCT oil carrier) which unlike broad and full-spectrum products does not contain any of the other all-natural hemp extracts such as CBN (Cannabinol), CBDv (Cannabidivarin), CBG (Cannabigerol), CBC (Cannabichromene) and CBT (Cannabitriol), or any of the naturally-occurring terpenes, flavonoids, omega acids and no THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol).
During the two-week period, we took 20mg of CBD in the morning on an empty stomach, followed by 10mg at lunchtime and a further 10mg an hour before bedtime, giving us a total of 40mg of CBD per day.
So how well did Medterra CBD oil perform?
Good CBD Oil for Pain Relief
Medterra 10% CBD oil performed well but slightly below our expectations in terms of its analgesic (i.e. to relieve pain) and anti-inflammatory properties. The oil is left under the tongue for 30-60 seconds and absorbed quickly into the bloodstream. It gets to work within 30 minutes and in my case it provided with decent pain relief immediately after taking it.
However, whilst the oil got to work within 30 minutes, the pain would usually return 2-3 hours after each dose, something I didn’t necessarily experience with other of our Top 10 CBD oils.
I do want to point out that by taking 20mg of their 10% CBD isolate immediately after a tough workout in the morning (on an empty stomach) I felt my pain almost disappeared, so it’s fair to say their CBD worked very well, but it did not have the long-lasting effects we’ve experienced with other products.
This led me to being in pain multiple times throughout the day, and did not allow me to completely stop traditional pain killers or anti-inflammatories which was somewhat disappointing.
There could be a number of reasons for the sub-par performance of their 10% CBD oil, the main one being that as a CBD isolate product, you do not benefit from the entourage effect which means that whilst the CBD does relieve pain immediately after taking it, it could have a milder effect compared to full or broad spectrum products.
As a final point, it would be interesting to test their 2000mg broad-spectrum CBD+CBG (6% concentration) to see if the 1:1 ratio has an impact on the quality and duration of the pain relief.
Excellent Relaxing Properties
What about sleep and stress?
No surprisingly, the CBD performed well in terms of allowing me to feel relaxed in the evening and to fall asleep quickly. I would even say that in may have performed better than other full-spectrum products in that particular scenario. So if insomnia is a problem for you, Medterra CBD isolate might be worth a try.
If you suffer from stress on a day-to-day basis, it’s worth knowing that CBD may help reduce overall stress by activating the serotonin receptor. We’ve certainly felt calmer throughout the day so whilst the analgesic properties of their CBD could have been better, it certainly did a great job when it came down to stress and anxiety.
So if your aim is to use CBD oil for pain relief, then Medterra CBD oil is a good product that will give you short term pain relief. We would however recommend going for their 3000mg CBD isolate oil (10% concentration) or their CBD+CBG oil if you are looking for prolonged pain relief throughout the day – especially if you suffer from conditions such as arthritis.
Medterra CBD Oil Taste
Whilst the most popular way to consume CBD is by using CBD tincture (oil), they often have a more earthy, nutty, woody or grass-like taste which is down to the fact the product is natural, safe, and non-toxic.
Taste: A Pleasant Flavour Profile
After taking Medterra CBD 3,000mg CBD oil (10% concentration in 30ml bottle) for two weeks, it is fair to say that it tastes much better than most other CBD brands in our Top 10. As a matter of fact, it’s almost completely tasteless and won’t leave you with an aftertaste in your mouth, which is a real plus in our book!
This is down to two factors:
- Oil Carrier: The oil carrier can play a major role in the taste of a CBD oil and since Medterra CBD uses MCT oil instead of Hempseed oil, it does help with the taste as you do not have the bitter and earthy taste of the hemp coming through when you put in under your tongue.
- CBD Isolate: The main factor however is down to the fact that this is a CBD isolate which is not only free of cannabinoids, but also free of terpenes and flavonoids. Terpenes are compounds responsible for the aroma and flavours of cannabis whilst flavonoids give the plants their pigmentation and are also responsible for some of its flavour profile. By taking out all terpenes, flavonoids a chlorophyll and wax-free product is created to enhance your tasting experience.
Medterra CBD Oil Value for Money
On paper, Medterra CBD appears to be a great value for money CBD and one of the cheapest in our Top 10.
A person between 150 and 240 lbs may need between 20mg and 40mg of CBD per day depending on the severity of their symptoms. A 30ml bottle of their 3000mg CBD tincture (retail: £89.99) will therefore last between 75 and 150 days and cost between £0.60 and £1.20 per day (with free shipping), which we think is incredible value for money especially when compared to other CBD brands in our Top 10.
Based on 20mg of CBD per day, here’s how the Top CBD brands reviewed by our team stack-up:
|Bud & Tender
However, seeing as the effects of the CBD may not last for more than 3 hours, you may need to increase your daily intake, either by taking more CBD in the morning and evening, or by taking CBD more regularly throughout the day. This is likely to increase your overall cost per day quite significantly and may be less practical but given it’s incredible value for money, it might still work out cheaper than other CBD oils in our Top 10.
Advantages of Medterra CBD Oil
- Increased bioavailability – One of the main advantages of CBD oil over other products is the fact that CBD oil increases bioavailability – which means the amount of product that can be directly used by your body. The faster the CBD is absorbed, the sooner it can get to work. Gummies and edibles will take some time to be processed and broken down by your digestive system, making oil the fastest way to gain the benefits of CBD. When placed under the tongue, it comes into contact with the sublingual gland which speeds up the process of absorption and quickly enters the bloodstream.
- Easy to Consume – When taken orally, CBD oil is very easy to consume and it also gives you the ability to use doses of the exact strength required thanks to the individual droplets.
- Topical Use – CBD oil can in some instances be applied topically to treat joint pain or reduce problems associated with acne. While other forms of CBD can treat these issues, oil can be specifically applied to certain areas to target the treatment.
- No Sugar – When CBD is used in the form of gummies, chocolate or other edible products, it may not be in the best health interests of the person to eat such products. For example, people suffering from diabetes will need to carefully manage the food that they eat, and therefore CBD oil may be a better option.
- No addictive or withdrawal issues – Finally, CBD gummies are a natural remedy that can be taken by almost anyone and possesses none of the addictive or withdrawal issues that other pain management or anxiety medications may present.
Disadvantages of Medterra CBD Oil
Whilst there are mainly advantages in using CBD oil to get your daily dose of CBD using, there are unfortunately a few drawbacks which are worth considering.
- Earthy or Grassy Taste – CBD oil can have a very earthy or grassy taste which some will find unappealing. Although CBD oil is one of the fastest-acting forms of CBD, the flavour can deter many from using it to its full potential, and flavoured CBD oils or other forms of CBD such as edibles or capsules may be more palatable.
- Less Convenient – If you need to take CBD while in a public place, using CBD oil can be much less discreet than using edibles. While using CBD is not something that you need to hide, using a dropper to place the oil under your tongue may not be the most practical option when out an about, in which case capsules, gummies or other edibles may be preferred.
- Interaction with other medications – It’s also worth noting that CBD may make it harder for your body to process certain medications, so if you are taking any other medications, be sure to check with your GP before taking CBD products.
- Minor side effects – Finally, CBD can cause side effects in some people including drowsiness, changes in mood, nausea, and changes in appetite. Every individual will be affected differently, and in most cases, there are no side effects to worry about.
Medterra CBD Oil Dosage
CBD doesn’t have one-size-fits-all dosing and calculating a proper dosage of CBD can be tough as our bodies react to it differently.
The four major factors affecting your CBD dosage are:
- Your weight
- The condition being treated (i.e. depression, chronic pain etc)
- The severity of your condition
- The concentration of CBD oil
Most brands recommend customers start with the lowest dose and increase until they find the right serving size that fits their needs. The most common starting amount is between 10mg and 25mg. For anxiety and depression, the dose can vary from 20mg to 50mg or more.
As a rule of thumb, a person weighting between 10.5 and 17 stones (approximately 150 and 240 lbs) may need between 20mg and 40mg of CBD per day depending on the severity of their symptoms.
When using CBD for the first time, we would always recommend starting with a one of two drops of the 3% or 6% CBD oil placed under the tongue (sublingual) and holding it there for at least 30 seconds so it can absorb into the bloodstream.
Taking it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach to see how your body reacts to it is also recommended. If you are not seeing any major benefits with a single drop, increase your intake by a single drop every 2 or 3 days until finding the right balance to treat your personal symptoms.
How Many Drops of Medterra CBD Oil Should You Take?
Whilst it may be confusing at the beginning, it’s incredibly simple to work out how many drops of CBD oil you need to take depending on your daily requirements and the strength of the product you bought.
Most bottles of CBD oil contain 10ml of product and come in strengths ranging from 300mg to 2,400mg – also known as 3% and 24% CBD oils. This simply means that in a 1ml drop of the 300mg bottle, you will have 30mg of CBD, whilst the same 1ml of the 2,400mg bottle will give you 8 times that amount for a total of 240mg of CBD.
So assuming you need to hit 25mg of CBD per day with a 10ml bottle, you will need:
|CBD / Bottle
|CBD / Drop
Assuming you are using the 500mg CBD oil for a daily dose of 25mg, you will need to take approximately 20 drops per day (25mg divided by 1.25mg per drop). You could break this down throughout the day by taking 8 drops first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, 6 drops early afternoon and 6 drops at night before going to bed.
If however you bought the 2400mg CBD oil for a daily dose of 25mg, you would only need to take 4 drops per day (25mg divided by 6mg per drop), which you could also spread across the day – 2 in the morning, one in the afternoon and one in the evening.
As with everything, start with a small amount of CBD oil daily to make sure there’s no reaction, then increase slowly by a drop every 1-2 days until finding the right balance.
If you want to find out more check out our CBD Dosage article.
Medterra CBD Oil Reviews
By focusing on developing a comprehensive range of quality broad-spectrum and CBD isolate products which have been priced fairly Medterra has built a great customer base. Whilst there are not a member of an independent reviews program such as Trustpilot or Reviews.io, they have thousands of customer reviews on their website and an estimated average rating of 4.5 out of 5, although some of these reviews seem duplicated. Below are some of their latest customer reviews.
CBD Oil for Sleep
“This seems to help me sleep, which is why I wanted to try it. Pleasant taste, and a small amount seems to work well. Highly recommend.”
Great After the Gym
“I love using this after a day at the gym or any other time my body would ache. Even if I am stressed out, I’m quickly relaxed after one dropper. Best pricing I’ve seen for this dosage!”
Medterra CBD Oil Lab Reports
As a CBD company, Medterra plays the transparency card with their customers. They guarantee that the product you are purchasing contains the exact amount of CBD advertised on their site, without any THC (the intoxicating compound in cannabis). As such, they have made a clear commitment to raising the bar of the quality of CBD products available in the US and worldwide.
Since many CBD products contain pesticides, herbicides, mould, fungi, dangerous mycotoxins and not the amount of CBD or THC advertised on their site, Medterra CBD are working closely with Proverde Labs, a US based company offering analytical testing for CBD products.
In addition to being sourced and extracted from the highest-grade certified organic US hemp, they guarantee that their products are 100% organic and free of synthetic ingredients.
They allow customers to see their Certificates of Analysis online by going to the certificates of analysis page, which breaks down the potency of cannabinoids. The tests available to customers do not however highlight the presence of terpenes and flavonoids, as well as the absence of heavy metals, mycotoxins, pesticides or microbes, which we think is a shame but pretty standard in the industry.
The certificate of analysis for their Broad-Spectrum 1000mg CBD oil can be found here.
Health Benefits of Medterra CBD Oil
The human body contains a specialized system called the ECS (the endocannabinoid system), which aim is to regulate a variety of functions such as sleep, appetite, pain and immune system response. The body also produces endocannabinoids, which are simply neurotransmitters that bind to cannabinoid receptors in your nervous system.
CBD is believed to interact with specific receptors, specifically the CB1R and CB2R.
- CB1 receptors, which are located in various regions of the body, with a large concentration in the central nervous system and brain, co-ordinate mood, emotion, appetite, and other functions.
- CB2 receptors are more commonly found in the immune system and are responsible for controlling inflammation and pain. CBD stimulates these receptors and induces the body to release serotonin.
Serotonin, or 5-HT, is a neurotransmitter that carries signals from one neuron to the other. CBD increases the level of serotonin, which, in return, helps reduce pain, reduce inflammation as well as provide a range of other health benefits, which include:
- CBD for Pain Relief: CBD has analgesic (pain relief) properties and can help with many painful conditions such as arthritis, headache disorders, migraines, back pain or period pain.
- CBD for Sleep: CBD has a calming effect on both the mind and the body, allowing people to fall asleep more easily and stay asleep throughout the night.
- CBD for Stress: CBD helps reduce stress and calm both the body and mind, through its interaction with both the Hippocampus and the Amygdala.
- CBD for Anxiety: CBD has both anti-anxiety and antidepressant properties, and can be a great alternative to anxiety medications which have known side-effects.
- CBD for Headaches: CBD reduces the frequency of headaches as well as reduce stress and improve sleep, two major triggers of headaches. But CBD also has strong analgesic (pain relief) and antiemetic (prevent vomiting) properties which can help people with headache disorders during an attack.
- CBD for Arthritis: CBD has antiarthritic, analgesic (pain relief) as well as anti-inflammatory properties and as such is a great option for people suffering from arthritis.
- CBD for Cancer: CBD helps relieve some of the symptoms of cancer as well as reducing the side of effects of cancer medication such as nausea, vomiting and pain.
- CBD for Epilepsy: CBD helps reduce the frequency and intensity of seizures in epileptic patients, and may also counteract some of the side effects of traditional anti-epileptic.
Take the CBD Quiz
If after reading this guide you are still not sure if Medterra CBD oil is right for you, simply take our CBD Quiz which has been designed specifically to identify the product and strength that is best suited to your personal needs.
You can also check-out our other CBD oil reviews below: